Sunday, May 3, 2015

Rehearsal Dinner Dress



I've learned a few things while working on this dress.

1) When a pattern calls for 60" wide fabric, sometimes 56" wide doesn't cut it.
2) In the course of the 4 (four!) muslins I made for the top, I learned I should've been doing something called a Low Bust Adjustment this entire time.
3)Even with setbacks, everything seems easier after spending 2 months hand stitching a wedding dress.

For my dress pattern, I chose the Flora dress pattern from By Hand London. Then I ordered this absolutely gorgeous Liberty Tana Lawn.
Unfortunately, the main skirt front panel didn't fit on the fabric. So, I had my own "make it work" moment. The knife pleats in the front were the perfect place to hide a seam. So, I split the panel into 2 pattern pieces and stitched the main panel together before following the rest of the instructions.


The seam isn't noticeable at all and the skirt seems to drape fine with it there.
All in all I think it turned out well. I even hand stitched the hem, something I never would've done before making my wedding dress.

I even added pockets!


The rehearsal is next week so it will be a bit before I can post some pictures of the dress in action. In the meantime, I have a few more projects I plan to knock out before the wedding. Next on my list: the Adelaide dress. 3 hours to make a dress? Sign me up!



0 comments:

Post a Comment